90% attendance (19 days absent a year) equates to 209 days of absence over 11 years of schooling. This is more than ONE YEAR of school missed!
There is a clear link between poor attendance at school and lower academic achievement.
Of students with attendance less than 50%, only 3% manage to achieve ﬁve or more GCSEs at grades A* to C including Maths and English.
The majority of students who have over 95% attendance achieve ﬁve or more GCSEs at grades A* to C.
Attendance is key to academic achievement! If you are not in the lesson you cannot progress!
At High Well School we give the achievement of good attendance and punctuality high priority.
The pupils who achieve good attendance are offered rewards for their effort. The reward system is as follows:
- Every pupil who achieves 100% attendance is or most improved are awarded with a certificate which is presented in assembly for them to take home.
- Parents/carers are sent a positive message home to offer thanks for their support.
- Pupils with 100% attendance have their name added to a draw and have the chance to win one of six £50 Amazon Vouchers at the end of term.
- The class who achieve the highest attendance are awarded a trophy in assembly which is put on display in school.
- Pupils who achieve over 95% or above in their attendance and those making significant improvement in their attendance are rewarded with a celebration meal off school site which is fully funded by the school.
A display board on the main corridor in school displays pupil's achievements and is updated weekly.